Sunday, May 16, 2010

I had a little stablity in concepts but explorations ceased to cease. It was clear at that stage that I was going to  do something with magnets and iron-dust. But, the question was WHAT? There were a lot of ideas storming my mind. But obviously, I had to fix on one.



























I made an interesting exploration. The basis of my installation was the fact that the particles of iron-dust become magnetized when a magnet was brought near them. Each particle magnetized in turn, hence resulting in a structure in 3D space. I was of the view that if the particles are given some sort of support, so they will not fall under their own weight, and therefore can result in a larger structure. I thought of achieving this by use of some viscous fluid. I did the following experiment, trying to achieve a structure of iron-dust in the cylindrical tube when magnets were applied at both the ends.



































This, however did not worked out !

I also tried to used electromagnets. With them, I tried to generate different shapes by changing the shape of the solenoid, This too did not worked well, as I realized that iron-dust magnetized along the magnetic lines of flux and not on the body of the solenoid.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Copyright 2010 THE WORLD OF WIZARD.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.